Here is a simple list of Do’s and Don’ts for homeowners wanting to do a home remodel in Greensboro, NC.
Home remodeling can make your dreams come true or be your worst nightmare. This simple list of do’s and don’ts can prevent disasters and ensure that your remodel is a dream.
Greensboro Home Remodeling Do’s
- Plan your budget. Remodeling can be expensive, but it doesn’t have to break the bank. Be upfront and honest with your design specialist about what you can comfortably afford. While some homeowners are shy about discussing what they can spend versus what they want, by talking about it up front, you conserve valuable time and prevent surprises at the end of the project.
- Envision the end result of your dream home remodeling project. Go ahead, make sketches and look at different options and colors. Your sketched designs can give your design specialists insights into the look that you are anticipating. Then they can offer options or techniques that you may not even know exist. Remember, although it is your Greensboro home remodeling project, they work in the field and have experience with many projects.
- Work with someone you are comfortable with and understands your type of home. There is a vast array of home styles (Cape Cod, Victorian, and Ranch to name a few). Make sure your design specialist is familiar with your home style, and that you feel comfortable talking with him or her. Having a Greensboro home remodeling project going is stressful enough, but feeling uncomfortable with your design consultant will only make matters worse.
- Allocate money for “over budget” surprises. Quite often, even with the best planned home remodel, issues arise that cause you to go over budget. It could be something simple such as moving an electrical line in a wall to something more complex like a weak floor joist. Sometimes, until you get into the walls or floors, these issues cannot be foreseen. Allocate for this in advance, so that you are not surprised when it happens.
Home Remodeling Don’ts
- Don’t make assumptions. Sometimes permits must be obtained, job sites must be cleaned up daily, and often, at the end of the project, there will be changes in the scheduling of workers and materials needed. Don’t assume that all or any of this is included. Instead, before your Greensboro home remodeling project begins, make sure everything is written down in a contract – including the process of making any changes to your specifications. Then make sure you have one point of contact to talk to during the renovation process. Having a go-to person saves you the aggravation of making sure everyone knows what is to be done, when it is to be done, and who will do it. You have enough stress with all the workers tramping in and out – don’t add to your stress by trying to micromanage the crew.
- Don’t forget to do the walk through after your Greensboro home remodeling project is finished. Your final contract should list everything, including changes. The final inspection should meet the specifications outlined in the contract and everything should be completed to your satisfaction. Remember to speak up if something is not to your satisfaction.
Distinctive Designs offers an experienced design team that can take care of all the details of your Greensboro home remodeling project for you. Give us a call today at (336) 886-4293, and speak with one of our design consultants.